Safest Electric Mattress Pad - Editor's Choice Award Winner
“Which is the safest heated mattress pad?” is the second most frequent question we get asked, ranked behind only “Which is the safest heated blanket?” This fits right in with the results of surveys which show that the most important consideration to most heated bedding buyers is indeed safety.
First, as we state in our article comparing electric mattress pads with electric blankets, ALL heated mattress pads are inherently much safer from overheating than all heated blankets. This is because pads are held flat to the mattress (i.e. fitted) and generally are not bunched up as a blanket can become. (When an electric blanket becomes balled, twisted or bunched, the heat in the middle of the ball cannot get out and that heat buildup is the major cause of electric blanket scorches or failures.)
Comparing all the heated mattress pads available in the USA, we judged the SoftHeat Low Voltage heated mattress pad as the safest available. Here’s our reasoning:
1. LOW VOLTAGE – With the SoftHeat mattress pad’s use of low voltage (16V) in both the controller and the mattress pad itself there is little to no chance of electrical shock even if the heater wires become exposed or wet. Their low voltage has been listed by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) as “Non-Hazardous”. In our tests, we stripped the insulation off of part of the SoftHeat’s heater wires and then grabbed them. We did not feel even a tingle. In further testing, we put the stripped heater wires in a tank of water, turned the controller to HI and grabbed hold of the bare wire in the water. Again not even a tingle!
This shockproof technology could be very important to you under at least two conditions:
- If you sleep with your pet, a claw could scratch off the heater wire’s insulation. It would then be even worse if the animal “had an accident” in that area.
- When a pad becomes older, the wire’s insulation could deteriorate and crack and if you spill a liquid on it, a shock is possible with normal 120V electricity.
2. AUTOMATIC SHUTOFF -- Like most but not all other heated mattress pads, the SoftHeat comes with an automatic 10-hour shutoff feature, i.e. the product automatically shuts down 10 hours after you turn it on in case you should forget to turn it off in the morning.
3. CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS – We judged the SoftHeat’s User Manual to be exceptionally clear and well written especially in matters of safety. The manufacturer’s
(Perfect Fit Industries) concern for safety is readily obvious there, as you would expect of a company that has been around since 1932.
4. NO AC EMF’S – ElectroMagnetic Fields from AC electricity (Alternating Current) are of concern to some people. If you are one of those, the SoftHeat mattress pad’s use of low voltage DC (Direct Current) should ease your mind there. Our article “Are Electric Blankets Safe or Dangerous” applies to mattress pads also.
5. OVERHEAT PROTECTION – In our tests, the SoftHeat mattress pad’s overheat protection worked perfectly (should it ever be needed).
KEY TAKEAWAY: The safest heated mattress pad sold in the USA is the Soft Heat.