Features and Benefits of Modern American
Electric Blankets and Heated Mattress Pads
1) You should expect to see your home heating costs reduced substantially.
2) You should expect to feel better with your warming bedding use.
3) You should expect at least the following features with all but the cheapest of the major brands of electric blankets or electric mattress pads sold in the USA:
- 10 hour auto-shutoff (in case you forget to turn it off in the morning).
- Silent controls (the old bi-metal switches that clicked all night are long gone).
- Manual or automatic pre-warming so your bed will warm up quickly before you get into it.
- Some form of overheat protection for preventing fires.
- Choices of several colors and fabrics.
- At least partial machine washing and drying.
- A lighted numbered dial on the controller.
- UL (Underwriters Laboratories) safety listing.
- A two to five year manufacturer’s warranty against manufacturing or design defects.
- Your choice of size depending upon your mattress: Warming Blankets normally come in Twin, Full (Double), Queen and King sizes. Electric mattress covers are usually available in Twin, Full (Double), Queen, King and California King sizes and occasionally in Twin XL, Short Queen, and other unusual sizes.
- Twin and Full automatic blankets or automatic mattress pads almost always have only one control whereas Queen, King and California King sizes almost always come with two (or Dual) controls for individualized comfort. There is only one manufacturer in the USA that makes a Full size pad with Dual Controls (ElectroWarmth®).
For more information about a particular brand’s features, see our Buyers Guide Reviews of Heated Electric Blankets and Reviews of Heated Electric Mattress Pads. Also check out our just released Electric Blanket Ratings which ranks the major brands by each poplular feature.