Easiest to Use Electric Blanket or Mattress Pad - Award Winner
For those who want easy-to-understand heated electric blankets or mattress pads, we usually recommend the SoftHeat Low Voltage ones. But make no mistake -- these SoftHeat products are still fully-featured.
Their controllers include:
- An easy-to-push ON/OFF button.
- A large easy-to-turn rotary dial for setting the heat level.
- Large easy-to-read heat level numbers that are well lighted.
- Infinitely variable heat levels (the 11 numbers are only for reference).
- Automatic dimming of the lighted numbers whenever the room is dark.
- Automatic pre-warming to your heat level setting upon turning it on.
- Ten Hour automatic shut off in case the user forgets.
- Bottom pads which help keep the controller in place on the nightstand.
- Silent heat controlling -- as are all modern blankets in the USA.
The lengths of the wires between the wall and the controller and between the controller and the pad or blanket connector are generous.
The connectors that actually attach the control wires to the blanket or pad are quite small and use locking tabs as opposed to friction which makes them easier to secure for those with limited hand strength. Additionally on their Dual Control models (Queen and King) they provide two separate connectors instead of one common connector so the individual controls don't get mixed up.
Note that the SoftHeat blankets have their connector(s) located at the bottom EDGE of their blanket which can be good or bad depending upon your needs. The good is that it is located well OFF the sleeping surface but the bad is that its location prohibits the bottom of the blanket from being tucked in between the mattress and box springs if you want to do that.
Also note that the SoftHeat mattress pads have their connector(s) at the head end of the bed which means no controller cords under the bed. These connectors are also located OFF the sleeping surface ON THE SKIRT which means your body will never touch them while you sleep.
So SoftHeat Low Voltage is definitely the winner of the award for easiest to use and understand. Biddeford makes some models of controllers that are similar to use but less fully featured than the SoftHeat ones. So we give them a "Runner-Up" in this category.